Friday, February 28, 2014

The Wrong Wall

I've been absent for about a week. My bad! I wish I had some good excuse as to why I haven't written, but to be honest I didn't feel like I had much to say. I took some time to listen and learn from others. It was a much needed recharging of my mind. I started reading Stephen Covey's "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" and it has really caused me to reevaluate my motives and purpose. He talks a lot about principles and values and understanding where they come from. He describes the difference between a "Personality Ethic" and "Principle Ethic" life.
The personality ethic is where we find the "quick-fix" approach to life and business. If I say the right thing in the right way, then I will get the right result. If I wear the right clothes and smile the right way, then people will trust what I say. The problem with this is it never EVER gets to the heart of the real issue. It ignores the foundational beliefs and values you hold dear. Living this way leaves us feeling empty, unsatisfied and the results do not last. We are then forced to dive into another book or seminar in order to figure out how we can continue to fool those around us and even ourselves. Unfortunately, a large group of people live this way. It's not to say that they are not successful or give the appearance of being happy and in control of their life. The underlying issue is the foundation they live their life on is, as the old hymn says, "on sinking sand". When a new problem arises they have to find a new system in order to combat it. They live a stressed and chaotic life because they only deal with the symptoms of an issue and never the issue itself. They are in desperate need of a heart transplant and instead they pull the old bandage off and put a new one on the problem and call the procedure a success.
Alternatively, individuals who live a "Principle Ethic" life are at peace. They have taken a long, intimate look into their life and determined their core values and beliefs. Now having this understanding they begin to lay a foundation on which they will live their life. Their "personal mission statement" would look something like this:
"I believe in Jesus and will live my life according to His instruction. I will listen to my children and love them with great intensity even when they have done wrong. I will love my wife as Christ loves the church. I will be a friend a friend would like to have. I will do business with integrity and never compromise to make a buck. I will admit my mistakes and be humble. I will listen more than I speak. I will be an eternal learner and become a master of my chosen craft. I will give of my money and time to those who are in need. I will have fun and be silly. I will not take myself too seriously. I will strive to make real difference in the lives of those around me."

As you might have guessed, this is my mission statement. This statement is the foundation on which I will attack all problems and issues in my life. I am not forced to change the way I respond to each new issue because this statement defines who I am as a person and tells me what my values are. By looking at this statement it reminds me what is most important and from it I can make the decision that best aligns with who I am and who I want to be. It is not to say I will not tweak this in some ways over time. I will grow and experience new things and as I do I may want to add or change certain parts of my mission statement. Regardless, this is my road map. Stephen Covey makes a great point in that people will work hard to climb the ladder of success, only to discover that all the time the ladder had been leaning against the wrong wall. I want to make sure I have my ladder on the right wall. It does me no good to exert the effort to climb the ladder if it is leaned against the wrong wall. When I reach the top I am actually further away from where I want to be. Let's strive to be people of principle, of value! Let's make decisions based on foundational beliefs and by understanding who we are and want to be. If you don't know where to start, then pick up Covey's book. It's the road map to your road map.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment