Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Why So Serious?

First of all, thank you to everyone who has checked out my blog so far! My biggest concern writing a blog was that no one would ever read it, but so many people have already checked it out! I am greatly encouraged to keep writing. Again, Thanks!!!
I am going to assume that most of you have seen The Dark Knight and understand the context of the phrase "Why so serious?". If you haven't seen this movie, do yourself a favor and check it out. Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker was one of the best I have ever seen. I read that he began staying at a hotel during the filming because he was so in character that he was terrifying his children.  Yikes! Got side tracked... Moving on! Allie and I had a conversation about blogs this weekend. We noticed that a lot of blogs (mine included) try to finish each post with some grand statement of truth or insight into the human condition. This then begs the question, "Why so serious?" Don't get me wrong. I love to learn new things, but some times I just want to hear a funny story or learn about an interesting side to another person's life. I want to feel as if I'm not the only one going crazy or simply wants to hear a good joke. I just want to laugh and not apologize for it!
In the spirit of this realization, today I am going to tell you a story about me.  My family would say this story encompasses me as an individual.  I think they're right.  I grew up on the outskirts of a very small town in southern Illinois.  I lived on ten acres of land and had a lot of time to myself. I would often be found in my room playing with my wrestling action figures or pretending to be Indiana Jones in my treehouse. However, on this fateful day I was riding my three-wheeler around the yard. Let me preface this story by saying that my father had sat me down earlier that morning and explained to me that I must always watch where I am going and never, for any circumstances, turn around and look behind me. Let's call this my Shakespeare moment because just as the message is not delivered to Juliet and in turn a tragedy ensues so this message did not make it to its intended target. I am making what was probably my third or fourth lap around the house when something beside me caught my eye. I cannot remember whether it was my dog or my brother, but regardless I turned my head all the way around to watch what was going on. The next thing I know the three-wheeler is headed into the air and upside down.  I had somehow positioned myself in line with the swing set so perfectly that the front tire turned the angled support beam into a ramp. Remember that this was in the late 80's, early 90's and safety was not a huge concern, which meant that I had no helmet or protection of any kind.  Luckily, I jumped off just as the three-wheeler was flipping over backwards and I rolled to safety. The three-wheeler, however, was not so lucky. I had shattered most of the front end and busted the headlight. It was in this moment that I realized two things. First, the conversation my father and I had about an hour before finally started making sense. Second, he would be at work for the next 7-8 hours which should give me plenty of time to come up with a good excuse. I pondered and thought and pondered and thought. Nothing was coming to mind that would explain how the three-wheeler ended upside down or why mom seemed to think it was my fault.  The hour arrived and he pulled into the drive. I had my story and I was going to stick to it! My dad gets right to the point and says, "I only have one question for you. You were looking behind you when you hit the swing, weren't you?" I had been waiting for this moment. I knew that would be the question he would ask. My heart pounding, I said with confidence, "Now dad, calm down! I was not looking behind me. I had one eye going that way", as I pointed behind me, "and one eye going that way", as I pointed to the front. I had done it! There was no way he could prove or disprove my story. No one could know for sure whether this is what actually happened. What happened next, however, I did not expect. My father, being the wise and deductive man that he is asked me one more thing. "Show me", he said with a look of great satisfaction on his face. I was determined to play my lie out to the end so I began wiggling my eyes back and forth rapidly. A small, but noticeable grin came across my dad's face briefly and I knew that I had done it. While he may not have believed my story, it was grand enough (and ridiculous enough) to make him laugh, even if it only on the inside.  We settled on a punishment that involved chopping enough firewood to sell in order to pay for the damaged three-wheeler, but did not involve being unable to sit for a week. It seemed like a pretty fair deal.


Enjoy your week and remember... ah forget it, just enjoy your week!

No comments:

Post a Comment